Thursday, November 02, 2006

Motivational play list

When I need motivation, encouragement, energy, uplift, solace, I turn to these songs. Something tells me I’m going to be needing them all this NaNoWriMo. Maybe they’ll work for you too. What songs do you listen to keep going?

Dance Little Sister/Terence Trent D’Arby. I’ve been using this song to help me meet deadlines for almost 20 years now. Never fails.

House of the Rising Sun/Nina Simone. It’s filled with energy and good juju (and figures prominently in Orange Mint and Honey, so I have a special fondness for it).

Try/Jill Scott. Try to feel discouraged after listening to this song.

Three Little Birds/Bob Marley. Good reminder when I’m worried that “every little thing’s gonna be all right.”

Oh Happy Day/Edwin Hawkins Singers. A classic. It reminds me of childhood, going to church with Grandmama and Aunt Susie.

Get By/Talib Kweli. Great energy, great anthem.

No More Drama/Mary J. Blige. If only for the line, “I don’t know, only God knows where the story ends for me, but I know where the story begins….”

Keep Your Head to the Sky/Earth, Wind & Fire. Self-evident, right?

Chain of Fools/Aretha Franklin. The best opening of any song ever. Makes you wanna get down and praise God at the same time.

When Doves Cry/Prince. Second best opening of any song ever, and my favorite song by His Royal Badness. (Speaking of, it looks like I’m going to Vegas, baby!)

No comments: