Thursday, March 08, 2007

Spring cleaning

Spring is in the air, and it's clean up time. Yesterday, it was 60-some degrees and sunny in Denver. So, of course, I spent the day inside cleaning my office. De-Orange Mint and Honey-ing my space to make room for Novel 2 (which has a working title, but I'm not in love with it, so I'll be referring to it as N2 here). I put away files and took down pictures and quotes and clippings that I have collected while working on Orange Mint. I made space for files in the top file drawer for N2. And I bought a giant cork board to place inspirational visuals for N2. For example, I wrote a description of one of my new characters and was later flipping through a magazine and saw a model who looked just like I imagine her to look. So she's up on the wall, along with another picture. So far there are just the 2, but over the next few months I'll be adding lots, and it feels good to make room (literally and figuratively) for new ideas, new stories, new characters.

Our yard needs cleaning up too. The scila and daffodils will look much prettier if they're not blooming next to withered brown stalks and icky, smashed leaf-mush. Later this weekend (when it will be less beautiful), I'll get outside.

I did it all backwards weather-wise, but for my own peace of mind I needed to clear the office space before I clear the yard space.

What are y'all making room for this spring?

No comments: