Thursday, May 24, 2007

Best damn birthday cake ever!



In December I went off sugar. Everyone wanted to know for how long, so I decided until my birthday...which is Saturday. Between December and now, I've had 2 regular Cokes and 2 regular cookies (it was work; I was testing recipes for my book) and a few bites of fruitcake (it's a hubby/Grandmama thing...you wouldn't understand).

Today, I made myself a low-sugar chocolate birthday cake and good grief was it sweet! It was tasty and I immediately wanted MORE so I stuck it in the freezer until Saturday. But now I feel a little sick. This recipe is less than 1/2 the sugar in my usual chocolate cake recipe, but next time I'll use even less sugar. Give it a try:

1 stick butter
1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons Splenda sugar blend (too sweet for me!-could be cut to 1/3 cup)
1 packet (about 1/4 cup) baby food prunes
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 eggs
2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
1 cup organic whole wheat pastry flour (bulk from Whole Foods)
1 cup white flour
3/4 cup water
1 airport bottle (about 1/4 cup) coffee liqueur (or eliminate liqueur and increase water to 1 cup)
2/3 cup 73% cacoa Dagoba choco chips (I'll cut these, next time.)

Frosting:
3/4 cup Splenda sugar blend (Will cut to 1/2 cup next time.)
1/3 cup cocoa
1/2 stick butter
3 tablespoons brewed coffee
1 teaspoon vanilla

For decoration:
1 cup chopped walnuts

This is a one bowl cake. Cream the sugar and butter together. Add the eggs, vanilla and baby food prunes and beat until smooth. Add the cocoa, baking powder, salt, baking soda and whole wheat flour, blend. Add the white flour, water and coffee liqueur, blend. Fold in chips. Bake in greased and floured cake pan(s) for 20 minutes or so at 350 (my oven runs hot, so cook until a toothpick comes out clean). Cool on a rack. Frost the bottom layer and cover with 1/2 cup chopped walnuts. Cover with 2nd layer and frost just the top and sprinkle with remaining walnuts. (There's not enough frosting to cover the sides--a way to cut down on sugar, don't you know.)

No comments: