Saturday, July 21, 2007

Literary Day


Yesterday I went to Boulder and had an Anti-Freak Out Lunch with Elizabeth Wrenn, author of the terrific novel, Around the Next Corner. If you're a woman of a certain age and/or you like dogs (hint, hint, Ms. Peri!), this a book for you.

Elizabeth and I commiserated about writing the 2nd novel. I tend to overcorrect my work based on feedback. She gave me some excellent advice that was shared with her: imagine a clear glass of water. Your editor has said it shouldn't be so clear. You have a bottle of food coloring in your hand. If you put just one drop of color in the water, it won't be so clear anymore. You don't have to empty the bottle.

She also shared her insight based on the Michelangelo quote, "I saw the angel in the marble and carved until I set him free": Writers have to first "write the marble." Then we can carve away at it. For more of her tips for writers, go here.

So that was lunch. After lunch, I went to the Tattered Cover and bought my voucher for the 7th Harry Potter. Then (after a nap) I went to the store at 11. I've never seen anything like it. [Bella was there and she's got pictures.] A thousand people (or more) at a book party. Little kids, teens and adults (of all colors) in costumes, carrying wands, ordering butterbeer and polyjuice potion. When it was 12:01 a.m., the crowd screamed as if their favorite rock star had come out on stage. And I guess it had. At 12:01 we could all trade our vouchers for books and go home and start reading. I am just in awe of what J.K. Rowling created. It is something much bigger than a series of books.

No comments: