Sunday, August 12, 2007

Fruit

What wondrous life is this I lead!
Ripe apples drop about my head;
The luscious clusters of the vine
Upon my mouth do crush their wine;
The nectarine and curious peach
Into my hands themselves do reach;
Stumbling on melons, as I pass,
Ensnared with flowers, I fall on grass.

Andrew Marvell (1621–1678), British poet. The Garden (l. 33–40)




This is the harvest from our plum tree. First, a hail storm got it, then the squirrels. Last year, I bought a net and covered the tree, but the little buggers figured out how to climb under it (of course) and still ate all the fruit.

This is my new lemon tree. My friend Tanya gave me a gift certificate to City Floral for my birthday back in May. I finally used it yesterday. My tree sat in the hot car while I went to the grocery store and all the way home my car smelled of flowers and lemons. See the green lemon? There are 3 others and blossoms for more...if it makes it. Poor tree is not cut out for Colorado, but meant to be grown indoors during the winter. It already had a tough day outside yesterday. It can't take the Mile High mid-day sun. I'll give it morning light and evening light and bring it inside next month. Wish us luck!

I have hopes. A few years ago, my brother-in-law sent us rose bushes from California for Christmas. For Christmas! We raised them in the living room until the next May when we could safely plant them outdoors. Two of the three lived.

No comments: