Sunday, August 19, 2007

Low-sugar chocolate chip zucchini bread


The original recipe called for 2 cups of white sugar, which I replaced with 1/4 c Splenda sugar, 1/2 c apple sauce and 1/2 c of currents (because I had them in the cabinet). I also reduced the oil by half (since I was adding moisture with the apple sauce) and replaced half the white flour with whole wheat pastry flour.

3 eggs
1/4 c Splenda sugar
1/2 c unsweetened apple sauce
1/2 c canola oil
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 c shredded zuke
1 c chopped walnuts
1 c chopped Dagoba 73% cacao drops (or you could use semisweet chips)
1/2 c currants
1 tablespoon orange zest
1 1/2 c white flour
1 1/2 c whole wheat pastry flour
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg

1. Blend flours, baking powder, soda, salt, spices and orange zest.
2. Beat eggs, add sugar and beat until well blended.
3. Stir in oil, vanilla, zuke, nuts, chocolate chips and currents.
4. Stir in dry ingredients.
5. Turn batter into 2* greased 9 x 5 inch pans.
6. Bake at 350 for 50** minutes or until done. Remove loaves from pan and cool.


*My loaves are kind of short. Maybe it's the altitude? But next time I'll only use one pan.

**My loaves were done in 33 minutes, though our oven temperature isn't reliable.

Thanks H for the zuke from your garden!

1 comment:

Carleen Brice said...

I realized that using less sugar is probably what made my loaves not very tall. Whipping sugar with eggs creates height. Next time, I'm definitely using one bread pan.