Monday, November 26, 2007

Setting-Colfax Avenue

One of the settings for Orange Mint and Honey, Colfax Avenue, was in the NY Times today. I had a hard time with Denver as a location. I had to stop and think about how I see the city and how my characters would see the city and then give a little info (debunk some myths, like that Denver is not in the mountains) for folks who know nothing about it. So Colfax Avenue is in the book, as is Park Hill, Five Points, Capital Hill, Aurora, and I-70 up to the mountains (because to write about Denver and not mention the Rockies would be silly). Local haunts in the book include City Park, the Tattered Cover , Blackberries, Liks, and the Mercury Cafe. So far the locals who have read it approve.

1 comment:

Julie Kibler said...

Came across your blog randomly (from Jamie Ford's links) and this post caught my eye because I grew up only a few blocks off Colfax (5th and Clayton and 8th and Harrison). I read your excerpt and will look forward to reading your book when it comes out next spring. I can always do with a bit of Denver nostalgia, and the story sounds wonderful, too.