Thursday, December 06, 2007

Omaha

I grew up in Omaha. I shopped, went to movies, and hung out too many times to count at Westroads. It's where I bought my prom dress. It's where my best friend, her boyfriend and I lied about our ages to see Felix the Cat. Our friend J went with us, but she choked when the time came to lie and didn't make the cut. The story on the front page of today's Denver Post from the Omaha World-Herald is written by a guy I went to high school with. The kid who entered the mall with a gun lived in the same suburb as one of my favorite aunts. Nobody I know was shot or a witness to the horror. Just the same, everybody in and from Omaha is affected. I guess we all are whether we're in or from Omaha or not.

I just needed to say this.

5 comments:

Sherry said...

It's hard to read about horror. It's even harder when it hits you so close to home Carleen. This is devastating and my heart goes out to all those who have been affected personally by this tragedy.

Anonymous said...

There is a paralysis that overcomes me when human horror strikes close to home.

I do know what it's like to think, "I've been to that place. I've walked that aisle. I knew that person's mother."

I'm sorry Carleen.

I'm sorry for those families.

Carleen Brice said...

I'm so sorry for the families! I can't imagine the pain of losing someone who was just out shopping and never came home.

Judy Merrill Larsen said...

I have a cousin there; and another cousin and his family were at the mall in Salt Lake City last February when the massacre took place there. A friend works at Va Tech.

No matter where or when it strikes, it's too close to home.

Jae Arronson said...

My heart and prayers go out to these families. I'm a long way from Omaha but as someone else said...no matter where a horror like this happens...it's too close to home.

I think we probably all struggle to make sense of something so senseless. There is no sense to find in this.