Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Maya Angelou weighs in

My friend Helene sent me a link to a Canadian interview with Maya Angelou. You can watch the whole 10-minute video here or the short version below (if you have time I recommend the full interview). When Dr. Angelou read On the Pulse of Morning at Bill Clinton's inaguration in 1993, it was the first time I felt included by my government. It was the first time I felt invited to the party. Barbara Jordan once said, "But through the process of amendment, interpretation, and court decision, I have finally been included in 'We, the people.'" That's how I felt to hear and see Dr. Angelou read that day.

But for some reason, as much as I admire Hillary Clinton (and if she gets the nomination, I will definitely, happily support her), I can't help but feel that we will have taken another step forward from that January morning in 1993 if in January 2009 Barack Obama is the one taking the oath of office.

Either way, it's a beautiful thing that we live in a time in which Clinton and Obama are the top candidates for the Democratic nomination. On top of that Dr. Angelou is backing Clinton and Oprah Winfrey is backing Obama and people are LISTENING to them. Can it be that what black women say matters? Truly, these are exciting times!

7 comments:

Lynne Griffin and Amy MacKinnon said...

Carleen, I was there that January morning when Maya Angelou read. I was in the 6th row, several rows ahead of President Nelson Madela. Naturally, I left my seat to shake his hand. Imagine? That was a day of possibilities. But now, well, now it's really something to behold.

Amy MacKinnon

Carleen Brice said...

Wow, Amy! What was it like to actually be there?

Lisa said...

The Clinton inauguration images, and especially that of Dr. Angelou are burned in my memory too. It was the kind of moment when you could really feel history being made. It's being made again and yes, I believe that black women make up a larger and larger part of the leadership that we look to every day.

Sherry said...

Carleen I'm so glad that you shared this. I have always admired and respected Maya Angelou...her voice is so strong. I respect that she backs the candidate that she believes in...yes, that people are listening to black women? It is well nigh time!!

Larramie said...

The bottom line: It's time for men to listen to and respect ALL women.

Maureen Wanket said...

African and African American women will usher in the new age. Our culture looks to Black women for guidance, forgivness, leadership. . . whether we know it or not.

I love this blog. It's one of my favorites.

Carleen Brice said...

Wow, Maureen--I'm honored! Thanks!