Thursday, June 04, 2009

Welcome Judi Fennell and beach getaway contest!

My pub date is just a couple of weeks away and I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed. So how appropriate that the new Girlfriends Cyber Circuit title is In Over Her Head. While the title says, "Modern women, I can relate," the cover says, "Forget your problems and come with me!"


In Over Her Head is by Judi Fennell. Here's a peek:

When Erica Peck, one terrified-of-the-ocean marina owner, finds herself at the bottom of the sea conversing with a Merman named Reel, she thinks she's died and gone to her own version of Hell. When the Oceanic Council demands she and Reel retrieve a lost cache of diamonds from the resident sea monster in return for their lives, she knows she's died and gone to Hell.
       When they escape the monster and end up on a deserted island, she amends her opinion - she's died and gone to Heaven.
       But when Reel sacrifices himself to allow her to return to her world, she realizes that, Heaven or Hell, with Reel, she's In Over Her Head.


Here's some of the early buzz:

"In Over Her Head is a heartwarming, but action-packed story of two people-one human and the other of the seaworthy body-joined together in an adventure. I enjoyed this story immensely."

"A delightful underwater adventure... full of good-natured humor and fun. A strong first effort by a promising new talent."
-Romantic Times 

"A playful debut... sincere wit."
-Publisher's Weekly 

And I have to point out the front-cover blurb from LA Banks, not only because it sings the book's praises, but because I've wondered about authors of different races blurbing for each other over on my other blog.


Judi's hosting a great contest over at her site. Check it out-you might win a free trip!
To celebrate the release of each of her books, Judi Fennell and the Atlantis Inn (www.AtlantisInn.com) and the Hibiscus House (www.HibiscusHouse.com) bed and breakfasts are raffling off three romantic beach getaway weekends. All information is on Judi's website, www.JudiFennell.com



And on to my chat with Judi:


Who do you picture in your mind when you write? 
I see the scene. It's one of the best things about writing paranormal, and being under the sea. I can make anything be there that I want to be and can explain it away with magic. But I also do adhere to reality as much as possible and LOVE when that reality exists where I need it to.



What's been your biggest surprised about getting published?
The biggest surprise was going to industry functions and having different interactions than you do as an unpub with industry professionals. It's more like, you're there, in the business and you're not looking for a sale as you are always hoping as an unpubbed. I hadn't thought about it but when it happened, it was very obvious. Surprising.


Is writing your main job?  If not, what do you do for your real source of income and how does it impact your writing? 
I got laid off from my day job (in the housing industry) shortly after I sold. I do still do a few hours for the company and am waiting for the market to turn around to go back to work, and in the meantime, I'm writing. The layoff was actually a blessing, although that pesky money/bill thing isn't fun.


What's the main thing you hope people take away from your book? 
A good time and laughter. And a desire to read about the rest of the Mer family.


Art or entertainment? Is one more valid or important than the other? 
I'm a reality tv junkie, so I'll go with entertainment. Is one more valid? No. The beauty of a democracy is allowing people their freedom to choose. What works for you might not work for me, so to have the selection is great.


What comes most naturally for you to write, dialogue? plot? character?  And what's hardest? 
Dialogue is the easiest and that's usually how I write. I'll write that first for each scene then build the rest of the scene around it. Hardest? I don't know that any other element is harder than the other. They're all part and parcel of the scenes and once the story is on the page with the dialogue, everything gets worked in.

So...go buy the book and don't forget to enter her contest!

3 comments:

Rebecca Hickman said...

Okay. Maybe bookcover photographs of main characters aren't such a bad idea . . .

Carleen Brice said...

I know, right?! I believe the Smart Bitches call this "man titty" LOL

Judi Fennell said...

thanks for having me. And I'm loving my cover art. :)