Saturday, March 31, 2007

Ah, new love


Is there anything more wonderful than the beginning of a relationship? It's all potential. There's been no disappointments, no heartbreaks. You can't even imagine how it could go wrong. Sure, in the past, with others. But not this time. This time is perfect.

That's how I'm feeling about my new novel (N2). The beginning of a novel is the honeymoon phase. N2 is full of surprises and delights. I think about N2 all the time. When we're apart, I miss it. I can't wait to share my ideas with N2 and hear what N2 wants to tell me.
I know one day N2 and I will come to a point when we don't "get" each other. The glow will wear off. N2 will become withholding and distant. I'll say lots of things N2 takes the wrong way. Okay, I admit it: I'll be cruel and heartless. I'll start to lose interest. N2 will start to get on my nerves. But no matter what happens we'll always have the first 100 pages.

No comments: