Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Deadlines are good for you!

Here's excellent news from the September/October issue of Wild Oats Marketplace:

To maintain a healthy immune system, "stay somewhat stressed." The article by Tony Farrell goes on to state:

Scientists have recently discovered that although passive stress (like watching violent TV shows) will generally lower your body's production of certain immunity proteins, more active stress, such as trying to meet a deadline, can actually increase your levels of disease-fighting immunoglobulin. to give yourself some "good" stress, set goals (for hobbies, work, or redecorating) that require some effort to reach them.

Writers must be some pretty healthy folks! :)

And speaking of healthy immune systems, I had my first fall bowl of oatmeal yesterday. I added a few drops of almond extract to the cooking water (along with a dash of salt and a few dashes of cinnamon). I served it with sliced peaches and a little milk. OMG. So good. Going back for more.

5 comments:

Lisa said...

I have to admit, I'm much more productive when I'm under pressure and if that boosts my immune system, I'm all for it. Although there is something about the word, "Deadline" -- DEAD Line -- that just doesn't sound healthy! :)

Jamey said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jamey said...

always tell people i have to get up enough anxiety to write. my characters have to make me so nervous that i MUST write...and when it is really going well you will probably see me pacing around outside a coffeeshop mumbling to myself...

Carleen Brice said...

Pacing and mumbling...yep! :)

Sustenance Scout said...

Anxiety and even anger are great motivators for me. And it's much less fattening to keep your fingers flying across a keyboard rather than dipping into the cookie jar, if you know what I mean...!