Friday, November 09, 2007

Just say no

I've had a cold for over a week, and today I pulled a muscle in my neck that is slowly becoming a neck-shoulder-back spasm from hell. Needless to say I have not accomplished much this week. And at first this morning I was starting to freak out about it. I know of other writers (you know who you are!) who can hit 2,000 words a day seemingly without breaking a sweat. Something I can't do when my sinuses aren't packed and I can turn my head from side to side like a normal person. Well, I can do it some days...just not every day. Some days, it's 300 words. Some days it's 3,000 words. It just depends. Anyway, I was freaking out because yesterday it was only 800 and today barely any. But then I remembered: I have been here soooo many times before and always, always it works out okay. I am going to end up wherever I end up no matter how I treat myself. Freaking out is completely optional. And, today anyway, I think not.

8 comments:

Sustenance Scout said...

Good choice, Carleen. But no fun with all the miseries. Dr. Scout here recommends Icy Hot on the sore muscles AND around the packed sinus areas. And warm pjs and an early bedtime. Feel better soon! K.

Lynne Griffin and Amy MacKinnon said...

Thanks, I needed that. Feel better.

Amy MacKinnon

Therese said...

No, no freaking out! Hot tea, rest, and some feel-better wishes from your blog pals is what you should focus on.

And you know, I don't write 2k every day either. Yesterday I didn't get any words down at all.

Sometimes the down time, whatever its cause, lets our creativity simmer. Then when we get back to work, we have new insights that save lots of revision time.

Hope you're better soon.

Carleen Brice said...

Thanks ladies! I was feeling pretty "one-step-forward-two-steps-back" and your comments really helped!

Judy Merrill Larsen said...

You're right, keep the long view. It'll happen and when it does, it'll be just as it should be. For now, some tea (maybe orange mint and honey?), lots of pampering, maybe a bubble bath. Take care of yourself; the rest will follow.

Sherry said...

When you're feeling down/low and your sinuses are miserable...very difficult to think let alone put words on paper. What doesn't happen today may well happen two-fold tomorrow. Feel better soon!

Lisa said...

"Freaking out is optional". I love that. I hope you feel better soon.

olufunke grace bankole: said...

carleen,

i hope you're feeling better?